I often have to make designs for internet-use. I have had Fireworks for years and it suits my purpose. These are the details I like in it:
- Good tools for moderate image manipulation (cutting, cropping, color changes, overlaying one image with another, blurring, etc.)
- Possibilities to draw other objects easily (squares, lines, circles, shapes)
- Easy options to apply textures, shadows, gradients, and other effects.
- Preview of JPG / GIF / PNG export, easy quality settings -> useful when exporting for the web.
- Ease of dragging, resizing, and moving objects (images, shapes, text) around on a canvas
- Ease of working with vectors and bitmaps at the same time
So I guess those are the main qualities I like a lot in Fireworks. Now that I use Ubuntu I've tried Gimp and Inkscape, and some others, but I can not find all of the aforementioned qualities. Maybe it's me, but Fireworks still rules when it comes to these things, IMHO. So I run it under Wine. But that's really a pain... it's slow and behaves erratically.
Is there anybody who has found a good replacement for Fireworks? Or knows a program that might fit my needs? Thanks!