Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I currently own a netbook running Ubuntu 12.10 and i want to install windows XP on it. I have the installation file on my pendrive as my netbook doesnt have disk drive. but when I opened the setup.exe, it didnt open. So i installed WINE on my netbook,

I opened the file and setup opens, but when I try to install it it says- " NO valid system partitions were found, setup is unable to continue"

Then I decided to make that pendrive a bootable one,, so i could install XP, so i downloaded rufus, it didnt run on my system idk why. So i did some research and found a video which showed to make my pendrive NTFS, and then use unetbootin to make it bootable.

Si i downloaded the 7zip application and then selected the XP iso for unetbootin... I waited for like 10 mins for the process to finish. then i rebooted and booted from the pendrive,

but it had a small blue screen saying unetbootin ( something like that) and a timer below counting down from 10 for something(for automatic boot AFAI remember), and it said press tab to edit options.and after counting to 10 the whole process starts again :(

Please help me install XP on my netbook. Can anyone tell me the solution or an easy way to install XP?? I think that making an NTFS partition on my existing 120 GB HDD will work but im afraid that it will delete ubuntu. I only have this PC at the moment HELP!

P.S. please keep in mind that im a total noob

share|improve this question

Install GPart on your Ubuntu.

Open Gpart and select your HDD and make some free space by resize/delete option.

make usb drive as bootable and boot XP from your usb drive.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.