I'm new to openstack and i'm still learning. In 2 month i'll get 6 servers like:
- 4 servers with dual xeon e5-2630 , 96gb ram, 2 1gb ethernet and 2 500gb hdd in raid
- 1 DAS with 40tb of storage (10x4tb HDD)
- 1 server with single xeon e5-2630 with 16-32 gb of ram.
I has a few questions for this setup and with openstack in general:
i practically has 3 dedicated compute nodes, 1 compute+storage node(1 server+DAS) and 1 node/network controller. As i read the best practice for networking server is to have this service run on all nodes for redundancy as opposed to running on a single controller where is it fails then all the ecosystem fails too.What is your oppinion? Another thing is the colocation of services as i don't have the necessary number of hardware to deploy every service on it's private hardware. I was thinking that the controller should run the controlling part service of nova, the object storage server and block storage server and the compute+storage server should run nova+object storage+block storage. What do you think of this setup?
for the DAS should i use raid or not because i read somewhere that swift and opesntack in general doesn't get along very well with raid?
- should i use openstack-networking or the newer quantum?
- i'll use this servers for hosting, storage like dropbox and virtualization. Except the latter, the first 2 will run in VMs . The thing is that i don't understand how openstack works with available resources. Does it make a pool of the available ram, cpu, storage etc? The DAS will be connected to only 1 server. Reading and writing to disk uses ram memory for cache etc;my question is : will openstack fill the ram proportionaly on all nodes when reading or writing or will it use only the ram from where DAS is attached to?This is an important problem for me. Also, only having one machine with actual storage capability will it help adding 2 more 1gb ethernet to cope with intense requests on the storage server? Or should i distribute the HDD's to all servers and install the storage services on them?
- i didn't find a good tutorial on how to deploy openstack using maas and juju, because it seems to be an easier setup then manual install.
how does openstack get along with amd opteron 6300 series? I'm asking this because there is a possibility that i could change from intel to amd, the latter being much cheaper so i can get for the same ammount of money twice and something the number of cores (e5-2630 being a 6 core with ht, and from what i understand i should disable ht)
To be continued when i will be confronted by other problems.
Thank you for your help!