I have a Windows 8 Computer with UEFI. Here is how I tried to install Ubuntu:
• Disabled Secure Boot, loaded live USB with 12.10 x64
• Created 30.0GB partition in Windows for Ubuntu
• Installed Ubuntu
• DURING INSTALLATION: The wizard asked me if I wanted to create a swap partition. I was told by a previous guide not to use the wizard partition manager, but I thought creating a swap would be a good idea. So I made a with 500MB swap partition.
After installation, I installed boot repair.
Now Grub starts up perfectly fine on startup, but when selecting Windows 8, I only come to a HP Boot Repair screen, which is futile. So here are my problems:
• I cannot access the partition with my Windows 8 files through the HP backup software partition.
• I cannot boot into Windows 8.
• I cannot access the Windows 8 partition through Ubuntu to rescue my files.
I believe it is because I created a swap partition, and now I am stuck. Formatting my hard drive is my last resort. I AT LEAST want to backup my files from my Windows 8 partition.