In order to achieve that.. you should edit the Nautilus source code and the
nautilus.desktop file or using another file manager that allows this, such as nemo.
NOTE: In this example I'm running ubuntu 13.04 with nautilus (files) 3.6.3.
You can test this in a virtual machine to see if everything is OK.
1) Make sure you have enable the Source code repository
- Open the Ubuntu Software Center
- In the Menu Bar choose Edit -> Software Sources. Click to enable "Source code repository".
Just in case I use the "Main Server" to Download.
Open a Terminal Window to update the repositories.
2) In the Terminal type the following to install the necessary packages.
sudo apt-get install build-essential quilt
3) Install build dependencies.
sudo apt-get build-dep nautilus
4) Create a folder to download the source code.
5) Download the source code & Export variables.
6) Create the patch and edit the source code.
Custom Trash: To change the name of the Trash.You can change the strings in the lines 567 and 569.
eg: "Trash" to "Custom Trash" & "Open the trash" to "Open the Custom Trash"
Add Folder: In this example I will add the "Test" folder in my home directory /home/virtual/Test. (change the folder according to your needs)
After the line number 562 add the following:
/* add Test directory */
mount_uri = "file:///home/virtual/Test";
icon = g_themed_icon_new (NAUTILUS_ICON_FOLDER);
add_place (sidebar, PLACES_BUILT_IN,
_("Test"), icon, mount_uri,
NULL, NULL, NULL, 0,
_("Open Test folder"));
Remove Recent Files: To remove the Recent Files from the places... delete the lines from 525 to 534.
Save the changes.
7) Build the deb packages.
8) Install the deb packages.
9) For system-wide..edit the nautilus.desktop file to add the folder eg:(/home/virtual/Test) in the quick list.
sudo nano /usr/share/applications/nautilus.desktop
[Desktop Action Test]
Exec=nautilus --new-window /home/virtual/Test
10) Finally you can logout and Login to see the changes.
Hope this helps.