I have an issue with an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (updated) server.
For reasons too long to detail, it has got one eth0 interface assigned to 192.168.1.9 and one wlan0 interface assigned to 192.168.1.10. Both MUST work since boot time.
I also installed (I need of monitoring software) Lubuntu desktop-core and removed Network manager (rebooted) and using wpa_supplicant + /etc/network/interface hardcoded configuration and fixed IPs.
Everything works like a charm. From the Lubuntu desktop I can browse the internet from eth0, I can unplug it and browse internet through wlan0 edit: I must ifdown eth0 for that to happen but even then, I can use the server and browse internet with it but not contact it from other computers
I can ping and ssh this server eth0 from another computer just fine. However - and this is my issue - I can neither ping nor ssh to this server wlan0.
I thought it was some routing issue, but even commenting out the eth0 stanza in interfaces I still cannot access the server from the outside. Of course if I go on the server and try pinging (both from console and desktop) or navigating internet, it works perfectly.
Do you have any idea about where I could start look after?
Once I return to work I'll post my interfaces file, it's pretty standard and no DHCP involved (both interfaces have static IP as described above).
Details on the configs that have been asked to provide:
lo Link encap:Local Loopback inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0 inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1 RX packets:18 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:18 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:1613 (1.6 KB) TX bytes:1613 (1.6 KB) wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:c0:49:fc:db:3f inet addr:192.168.1.10 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr: fe80::2c0:49ff:fefc:db3f/64 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:16376 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:3337 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:4675792 (4.6 MB) TX bytes:543084 (543.0 KB)
When I enable the eth0 with ifup, I get this stanza added:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0e:a6:aa:5b:be inet addr:192.168.1.9 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 100 0 0 wlan0 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
if I disable eth0 of course the relevant line goes away.
IPTables shows clean, I am using UFW and I have disabled it at the moment as well
iptables -L -nv:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes) pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes) pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes) pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination