Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have this weird monitor, that every now and then goes into what i call 'green-mode'. It's kind of hard to describe what that is, but when it does, alot the pixels go "green" and the image becomes blurry, sort of. I've confirmed this to be an error in the monitor, and not the GFX card.

I can get it to snap out of 'green-mode' and go back to being completely normal by either logging out and back in again, or by switching user.

For a long time (running Windows) I was able to achieve the same effect, simply by changing the resolution forth and back. This has previously worked in Ubuntu, but it doesn't any longer. I've had the same thing happen in Windows, where it's normal resolution resizer, didnt do the job, but then after an update, it worked again.

I'm running NVIDIA drivers.

Is there anyway to get Ubuntu doing the same? It feels as if the resizing isnt done "hard" - you can sort of tell if the entire screen goes black while resizing, or if it just resizes.

share|improve this question
Sounds like more of a driver issue to me. Did you try updating your NVIDIA drivers? – Ashfame Mar 28 '11 at 8:01
That's weird. I've updated it (or tried different versions) 3 or 4 times. And when I try it out this time - it works :) – leflings Mar 28 '11 at 8:15
Great! Accept the answer I left as accepted if you don't see the issue again & think its fixed. :) – Ashfame Mar 28 '11 at 9:20
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Looks like updating graphics card driver fixed this issue.

I would suggest to wait for a while & continue using it before you are sure that the problem is fixed and then you can mark this answer as accepted.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.