Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

I have a question. That is: in windows the basic apps installer extensions are .EXE and .MSI so what is installer extensions in ubuntu?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Mateo, Mitch, Basharat Sialvi, Eric Carvalho, Eliah Kagan Jul 21 '13 at 3:35

This question was marked as an exact duplicate of an existing question.

As this answer to that question says, the Ubuntu "equivalent" to an .msi file is a .deb file. Please note that an .exe file is not specifically related to installation, it's just that many software developers and vendors still have not fallen in line with Microsoft's msi-based package management system (which is less sophisticated than Ubuntu's, since it doesn't have nearly as strong dependency resolution capabilities). – Eliah Kagan Jul 21 '13 at 3:35

file extensions to determine file usage are an abomination. they don't exist on linux.

most "installers" on ubuntu will have the deb extension, but if it's a script that installs something it could be language dependent. examples: bash, sh, py, etc.

.run is also common or binary installers.

share|improve this answer
Um, file extensions don't exist on linux? A quick look at /usr/share/mime/globs2 suggests otherwise. – cscarney Jul 19 '13 at 21:52
file extensions aren't the end all be all on the linux side of the house. on windows it is. on linux it's a convenience, but not required. – RobotHumans Jul 19 '13 at 22:28

.deb files are click and install types. But there is no specific extension on linux which is ready to be run. The architecture of linux OS is some different. Every file stays like a text file, not executable.

More details can be given by professional users.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.