I have a HP dv7 Pavillion with AMD/Intel hybrid graphics. The AMD is a Radeon HD 6370m, totally supported by AMD. I want to run with proprietary drivers to properly play games. I've already rigorously tried:
1) The method presented by Marian Lux here;
2) The method presented here, both usual and beta (13.6) versions;
3) The method presented here by Alexislavie, properly adapted to 13.04 version (that means, downloading the driver 13.4);
4) The first method presented here by Chris Carter, except for nomodeset configuration;
5) The second method presented there in the previous link by Nick Andrik;
6) The method presented here by Rodrigo Martins.
All of them were tested in fresh new installations of Ubuntu 13.04 (imagine how much time I've wasted reinstalling --clean-- versions of Ubuntu 13.04).
The results I get:
1) Everytime when the installation is successful and I can apply the
sudo aticonfig --initial command (or its variants), the reboot returns me to the black screen (where it's said I'm running in "low graphics").
2) Each time when the installation seems not be successful (i.e., I can't apply the previous command or I simply don't do it - or even I restore the original xorg.conf back) I can login but the Unity is broken, and the
fglrxinfo command also returns that there's a problem.
I would even try Ubuntu 12.04 if I were sure that those problems are related with my Ubuntu version, but I don't think so. That's why I'd appreciate your help to get those drivers properly working in Ubuntu 13.04.
Just to register: I've made another --clear-- installation of Ubuntu 13.04 and tried rigorously exactly accurately... the method proposed by Rodrigo Martins. It didn't work. After rebooting, I get back to the black screen
The system is running in low-graphics mode.