I have a HP dv7 Pavillion with AMD/Intel hybrid graphics. The AMD is a Radeon HD 6370m, totally supported by AMD. I want to run with proprietary drivers to properly play games. I've already rigorously tried:
1) The method presented by Marian Lux here;
2) The method presented here, both usual and beta (13.6) versions;
3) The method presented here by Alexislavie, properly adapted to 13.04 version (that means, downloading the driver 13.4);
4) The first method presented here by Chris Carter, except for nomodeset configuration;
5) The second method presented there in the previous link by Nick Andrik;
6) The method presented here by Rodrigo Martins.
All of them were tested in fresh new installations of Ubuntu 13.04 (imagine how much time I've wasted reinstalling --clean-- versions of Ubuntu 13.04).
The results I get:
1) Everytime when the installation is successful and I can apply the "sudo aticonfig --initial" command (or its variants), the reboot returns me to the black screen (where it's said I'm running in "low graphics").
2) Eachtime when the installation seems not be successful (i.e., I can't apply the previous command or I simply don't do it - or even I restore the original "xorg.conf" back) I can login but the Unity is broken, and the "fglrxinfo" command also returns that there's a problem.
I would even try Ubuntu 12.04 if I were sure that those problems are related with my Ubuntu version, but I don't think so. That's why I'd appreciate your help to get those drivers properly working in Ubuntu 13.04.
Just to register: I've made another --clear-- installation of Ubuntu 13.04 and tried rigorously exactly accurately... the method proposed by Rodrigo Martins. It didn't work. After rebooting, I get back to the black screen
The system is running in low-graphics mode.
Thank you in advance!