When I got my Eclipse from the Ubuntu Software Center, it was good and worked fine. I could work on Java projects fine.
This week I was required to add ADT and tried the ADT-bundle, assuming it had everthing I needed, seeing that the SDK had more steps. So now, I can create Android apps using the ADT-bundle.
I tried to work on my java projects again and I now discovered:
- I can't run my java projects: "The selection cannot be launched. And there are no recent launches." error. I also believe Eclipse doesn't know it's a java program because it all in black and white. Not the usual green/blue/red/black things when making comments, variables and Strings.
- I can't make new projects of ANYTHING unless I use the adt-bundle. New project only offers CVS (whatever that is)
- My perspectives seem limited. I remembered more choices and now I'm limited to [Java], Resource, CVS Repository, debug, Team Sync. I was told to be able to use perspectives to swap between Android and Java developing. Even after the ADT installation using "Install new Software",nothing.
- I can't uninstall/purge/remove Eclipse via the terminal. I tried removing it then reinstalling it via the Ubuntu Software Cetner. No results other than it's temporary removal.
- (Possibly unrelated) A large number of repositories are not found when updating Eclipse. (See Step 8 in Summary of what I did...)
Although, on checking the versions and installation history, I confirmed Android and Java are installed. It probably just doesn't know it's there.
Eclipse Indigo: Version: 3.7.2 Build id: I20110613-1736
Summary of what I did before and during the problem:
- Downloaded adt-bundle. Attempted instructions from teacher. (Install new Software) (Failed but other than an annoying "can't find repository" during each update, no damage to report) (Fixed)
- Ran "eclipse" executable from the adt-bundle.
- Updated Eclipse. (After restart, I noticed the problem)
- NOTE: other than window arrangement, I had no customizations. Played around with the Windows>preferences and Project>propertied. Restored to default settings after no results.
- Tried "apt-get purge eclipse". Couldn't find Eclipse so, nothing happened. Used Software center. No results.
- Tried swapping workspaces. I tried different folder, deeper folder, renaming. All return the same problem.
- Deleted adt-bundle (browsed folders then delete). Got Adt-sdk only. Installed. Can't find any changes other than some disk space usage. Of course, I can't make Android apps until I unzip the bundle again.
- Windows>Preferences>Install/Update>Available Software Sites, Checked as many repositories as possible, then updated. Still nothing.
I'm about to get a second try on uninstalling it, because I think my last action will just be taking up space. But I'll wait for tomorrow, in case the answer will help. Any thoughts?