I am trying to dual-boot a brand-spanking new rebuilt computer. I bought (2) 128GB Samsung 840 pro SSDs with the intent of installing Windows 8 (new) on one and Ubuntu on the other... with a 500gb HDD for data storage. The Windows 8 install went super smooth... but Ubuntu is giving me fits.
My previous machine also was a dual-boot (Windows XP on one 250gb HD and Ubuntu on another), so I'm relatively familiar with dual-booting a machine from 2005... cannot figure out what's causing the problem here.
So I downloaded the ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso file and wrote it to a blank dvd (using Windows 8). I also created a bootable usb drive of the same image. I have tried both, but am having similar problems.
The boot disk will allow me to start the install but it hangs on the "Where are you?" screen. The clock cursor still moves, and I can click on the map to highlight different areas... but as much as I click "continue", nothing happens.
I have also booted into the desktop using "Try Ubuntu without installing", and tried to install from there... install stalls out at the same place, with the clock spinning. I can, however, still navigate on the desktop and use the internet, etc.
A couple items that may or may not be of importance:
- I am using the UEFI install option from my BIOS to get this far. I'm not sure that I understand the whole UEFI thing (being stuck back in 2005), but I think that it makes sense because I'm trying to dual-boot with Windows 8.
- I am using the "Something Else" option from the Ubuntu installer, as I didn't want the "Install along side Windows 8" option to automatically throw Ubuntu on the same SSD as Windows. I partitioned the 128gb Ubuntu SSD as follows:
- /boot = 500mb
- / = 15gb
- /home = 108gb
- Swap = the rest (a bit over 4gb)
Some detail of my new system:
- AMD A10-6800 Quad-core processor
- ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6 Mobo
- 8gb RAM
- (2) 128gb Samsung 840 Pro SSDs... with Windows 8 installed on one
- (1) 500gb HD - Data drive from my old installation. Not bootable.
I'm not sure what other info I can provide that would be helpful. I'd be very appreciative of whatever help y'all can offer... and will answer what questions I can.