Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm fairly sure this program exists, but I don't remember what it was called.

There are a few drop-down terminal programs (guake, yakuke, tilde), and I've been a fan of guake for a while. However, since I discovered GNU Screen I've been more interested in using Eterm. But I would like to make it dropdown/hide on keypress, similar to the way Guake does. I remember at some point that someone mentioned a program that allowed you to do similar things with basically any other window.

Unfortunately my time spent googling around for terms like "show/hide any terminal ubuntu" have been met with stupid Windows search engine spam.

Any clue where I could find the program I'm looking for?


share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The magic search phrase is "quake-like terminal". More specifically, I searched for "arbitrary quake-like terminal gnome" and the top several hits demonstrate several ways of doing it. (They claim to be specific to Terminator and gnome-terminal respectively, but in fact can be adapted to any terminal program, or indeed almost any program you choose.) The first method requires Compiz.

share|improve this answer
Perfect! The compiz version works perfectly for me and is exactly what I wanted. Thank! – Wayne Werner Mar 16 '11 at 1:47

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.