I have had the same laptop for over a year, always with the latest Ubuntu installed, with no problems, until a recent upgrade to 13.04.
- Every 5-10 minutes, a noticeable lag in user I/O. Does not affect lengthy audo/video playback, only when working (editing files in Sublime Text is most noticable).
- Laggy after initial boot. As soon as I log in, there is noticeable lag if I try to launch something within the first 10-20 seconds of seeing the desktop.
- Lots of applications that used to be very robust (Thunderbird, Sublime Text, Nautilus, Gimp) decide to fade out to black at what seems to be random intervals. They usually take around 1 minute to come back to life, but 20% of the time they do not come back :(
What I've tried
- Turning off any weird Intel CPU crap in the bios.
- Disabling any startup applications.
- Turning off everything imaginable (wifi, bluetooth, proprietary
fnbuttons such as the "underclock" feature, touchpad disable and key brightness).
The device is a Samsung NP900X3B with the following technical specifications: * Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 2467M (1.60GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) * Intel® HD Graphics 3000 * 4GB DDR3 System Memory at 1333MHz (4GB x 1, DDP Type) * 128GB Solid state Drive * Intel HM65 Chipset. * Connectivity: Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230, 2 x 2 802.11 abg/n (up to 300Mbps), Widi Support
Installed is Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit.
Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.