I'm trying to install Ubuntu in Dual Boot (Win 8).
I followed every step in this tutorial (http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/uefi) which has many similarities with this one (Installing Ubuntu on a Pre-Installed UEFI Supported Windows 8 system)
I do manage to get to the GRUB menu, however when selecting "try Ubuntu without installing" or "Install Ubuntu" the screen is dimmed (goes black) and nothing happens. I have looked at various "black screen" answers on this site, none seem to fit my needs.
CONFIG (brand new)
ASUS F201E-KX065H + Windows 8 - 64 bits Graphic card : Intel HD Graphics
- Deactivated Secure Boot, Fast Startup, as per tutorial + separate partition of 50Gb
- Downloaded LinuxSecure (64) and burned it to a USB drive with Linux Live USB creator
- Checksum : none available for LinuxSecure, couldn't verify
Also tried then Ubuntu 12.04 64.iso and burned it to a USB drive with Linux Live USB
At boot time, I pressed ESC , selected "UEFI : hp v220w 1100" from boot device menu
- GNU GRUB version 2.00-7ubuntu11 > selected "Try Ubuntu without installing" or "Install Ubuntu"
- Screen is then dimmed (goes black) and no apparent activity
I press the power off button and then power on, computer boots, I can start back at step#5 above
I tried nomodeset fix that I found in one of the articles: In Grub, I pressed 'e', replaced 'quiet splash' by 'nomodeset', and booted = screen dimmed and nothing happened.
Grub menu for Install Ubuntu
setparams 'Install Ubuntu'
set gfxpayload=keep linux /casper/vmlinuz.efi.signed file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity quiet splash -- initrd /casper/initrd.lz
Seems duplicate of this thread, but no solution is offered.
Ouch, just noticed another reported issue with ASUS F201 (LINK)
Suggestions anyone ?