Problem: My laptop(new) fan is ALWAYS on.
Question: What can I do to solve this issue?
- HP Elitebook 8460p
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (clean install, no mod, nothing... really clean... no dust... not - even a little mod but the things I've tried to solve this issue)
- intel i5-2540M
- Kernel: 3.5.0-30-generic #51~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 15 08:48:19 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
- SSD HD
- ATI radeon 6470M 1GB(proprietary drivers, latest but not Beta as of 21/05/2013)
- low cpu speed (current governor: ondemand [same problem on all governor])
- low GPU and CPU temp: around 50C
- low cpu load
- fan: faster when laptop is pluged to AC, slower on batteries but always on
- the fan behave like I think it should in Win7.
What I did:
- Search... a lot... then read... a lot... then search, then read, search,read, well I think you understand
- read about related and not so related issues on askubuntu.
- install cpufrequtil and set the thing properly
- set powersaver option in catalyst to save power (I suppose it's slow down everything)
- disable vsync in catalyst (why? I don't really know but as I told you: I've read a lot about this issue so I've tried stuff already)
- Disabled "fan always on when on AC power" in Bios
- Update BIOS to latest
- tried to control fan speed directly with think like fancontrol... no luck
- tried to control ati fan with CLI... no luck (since it's a laptop, my fan is use for both CPU and GPU so I suppose it's normal this doesn’t work but why not try :D )
- tried to disable ACPI
- I probably tried other mysterious stuff but I don't remember what.
- I search about intel_idle, setting cpu and gpu idle speed, many related subject.
- I heard about a possible kernel bug but haven’t tried any fix since nothing seem related to my issue.
I probably missed something somewhere then now I ask for help.