I am trying to use Xubuntu 13.04 on a Macbook Pro 6-2 (mid 2010). That's a Nvidia GeForce GT 300m.
I'm positive this is a video drive issue. So what I've done so far:
- Tried installing the latest Nvidia drivers (added the repos and installed
nvidia-settings, etc). This loads a black screen before login screen
- Found out I have an Optimus system
- Re-install Xubuntu 13.04
- Now I install Bumblebee (which is used to handle optimus) following their directions on their website.
- Reboot system, and success! I see the Xubuntu loading screen w/out graphic glitches.
- But then it boots into a command line? I try to
startxand I get:
Nvidia: could not open device file /dev/nvidiact1 (No such file or address)and
Fatal Server Error: No screens found (EE)
To recap, I can't boot into my desktop environment, just a command line.
It also seems the common denominator is Nvidia. I can't find any similar problems on the Internet - any ideas?