Few days ago I installed ubuntu 13.04 on a new machine without big issues. Today, after the boot, I have this situation:
- grub correctly loaded and normal boot
- normal purple screen with red dots
- instead of normal login screen I have a black screen with an almost unresponsive mouse pointer and keyboard (they are really slow and they react with a latency of a couple of seconds)
- Hitting multiple times Ctrl+Alt+F1 I can reach a console and there operate normally (no latency anymore)
- I tried to restore the desktop environment giving unity to the console but it cannot start.
The only "suspect" actions that I could have done yesterday are an upgrade from the repositories and maybe, having left a usb-key plugged.
After a lot of trial-and-error, the only workaround that I found effective is to launch ubuntu in recovery mode and then, from the list, select the first field: recover normal boot (or something similar). I really cannot understand why in this way stuffs are working fine.
Do you have any idea of what the heck is going on? Thanks a lot in advance :D