Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When coal was young I was using fvwm (or maybe tvwm?) which allowed me to define many different zooms and control them using keyboard, something like

  • Super+left: make the window fill the left half of the screen
  • Super+top: the same for the top half
  • Super+pgdown: zoom horizontally

and so on. Pressing the key again restored the original size.

How can I do it with Ubuntu?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

The compiz grid plugin is what you want. You can use Cntrl + Alt + NumPad keys for what aligning to top left, right, etc.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.