Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Does any other desktop environment have the type-to-search-application-menus feature found in Unity?

I’m curios about trying a more spartan desktop such as Xfce or LXDE. Or maybe something entirely different. But I want to keep the workflow where I can press the Alt key from any application and type my way to menu entries.

share|improve this question

What you are talking about is the HUD (Heads Up Display) which is a special feature of Unity. At the moment, there's no other desktop or window manager with this functionality.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.