I'm currently in the process of writing an upgrade guide for the French-speaking community, and I'm having some problems doing an offline upgrade.
What I'm trying to do is to upgrade an Ubuntu 12.10 installation to Ubuntu 13.04 without an Internet connection. Now that the alternate and desktop CDs have been merged, I'm trying to use the 13.04 Desktop CD in order to upgrade my 12.10 system. In Ubiquity, there is an Upgrade Ubuntu 12.10 to Ubuntu 13.04 option. So I guess this is doable.
Steps to replicate:
- In a virtual machine, install a clean, fresh Ubuntu 12.10 system. Apply all available updates;
- Shutdown the VM;
- Disconnect network cable from the VM. Make sure your VM has no Internet link -- remember I want to do an offline upgrade;
- Insert the Ubuntu 13.04 beta 2 installation ISO in the VM. Reboot the VM;
- Select your desired language, and select Install;
- On Preparing to install Ubuntu screen, make sure again that you see no Internet connection available. This prerequisite should be marked by an X on this screen. If an Internet link has been found by Ubiquity, disable this connection before continuing;
- Then, on Installation type screen, observe that the Upgrade Ubuntu 12.10 to Ubuntu 13.04 option is greyed!!! It cannot be selected.
What is strange is the upgrade option as again available if an Internet connection is found by the installer. Repeat the previous steps, but this time, make sure your VM has an Internet link. Back on the Installation type screen, the upgrade option can be selected.
Is this a bug in Ubiquity? Is it normal -- the expected behavior -- for Ubiquity to require an Internet connection in order to performe an upgrade from Ubuntu 12.10 to 13.04?
Thanks for any hint you can provide me!
(Please note that I did not have any problem doing an online upgrade using Software Updater from my current 12.10 install. That is not what I want to achieve -- I already wrote the online upgrade guide. What I want to know is: how can I perform an offline upgrade using Ubiquity on the installation disc?)