I have ubuntu 12.04.2 and kde. I have fglrx 13.1 latest drivers. Sometimes I have freezes at starup, it's very annoying, and I discovered it's bug : http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=691 So maybe I should remove fglrx proprietary drivers and go back to mesa open drivers. The problem is: when I first tried open drivers my gpu was used to work at 70C° (158 Fahrenheit) instead I have max 39C° (102 Fahrenheit) with flgrx drivers. I think it's about temperature and fan control. If I decide to remove fglrx I want to be sure that I will not have problems, so I'd like to know:
- Is there a way to have same very good temperatures (like with fglrx drivers) with open drivers?
- Is there a good updated ppa to have latest open drivers versions in order to keep them updated?
- At this moment my plymouth works well with fglrx, is there any change I have to do to make it works with open drivers?
- Last question: do you think it's a good idea to use open drivers?
My machine specs:
- gpu: msi/ati r6870 hawk
- cpu: i5-2500k sandy bridge
- motherboard: P8P67 PRO
Thanks a lot.