I haven't found any links or responses to similar question that have helped. So let me describe my problems and what I have already done.
- I was working to connect my projector to my hp laptop running Ubuntu 12.04 with my nVidia driver. I go it to work after a bit of tweaking. Then I tried to change the resolution of the projector to make it more presentation friendly, which I did, but it also changed the screen resolution too which I didn't want. nVidia xserver setting panel would not show full settings, so I used gedit to change the xorg.conf file.
- I also removed my fingerprint gui because it didn't work correctly.
- I rebooted and when I tried to login the screen flashes, but goes right back to the login screen. Guest login works. So I edited my profile to allow login without password. No Joy.
- I reinstaled the policyki-1-gnome in terminal as well as purged xserver and reinstalled it. No Joy.
- Uninstalled the nVidia drivers and reinstalled. When trying to login to gui I did get an nVidia graphic show up before sending me back to the login.
Not sure what to do from here. I am not brand new to Ubuntu, but I am not that experienced either. Please help. Thank you for your efforts in advance.