I've tried every single possible way of installing the server now, I've read every how to available and I still can't get it to work. Please let me know in which step I do wrong. I'm using ubuntu 10.10. I will mainly be referring to the following how-to, but also this, and this one.
- First I add the ppa
- Install Freenx
- Download the special Freenx package as stated in the howto, fix ownership - install it
- Create custom SSH key
- Copy the file /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/client.id_dsa.key to the client and import it in nomachine (windows 7 x64)
- Check that both the user I will be logging in with and the user nx is in AllowedUsers in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file
- Check the port that ssh is listening on
- Login through nomachine with my regular user account in ubuntu
I always receive the message "authentication failed for [user]" when I try to log in. And I can't see the user "nx" which is said to be created during installation when I look under System->Administration->"Users & Groups". Can anyone please enlighten me if there is any step that I miss or have misunderstood?
Thank you very much!
(Or is there an easier way of enabling remote desktop that it can be used with a windows machine? I prefer not using VNC because I was hoping of being able to get better performance than that. And when I tried using XRDP I only received a black screen on the client.)