I installed Ubuntu server 12.04 about 2 weeks ago. It had been working well and running 24/7 until I accidentally restarted it yesterday. Shouldn't have been a problem, yet now it just sits at a black screen. It's not a screen-has-no-signal black screen, it looks like it's actually displaying black all around.
- It doesn't seem to be connecting to the network.
- The keyboard NumLock key works.
- Ctrl+Alt+Del key combination works.
- The screen is working correctly. I can see the BIOS screens and I can boot into a live USB drive.
- I recall rebooting the system a few times after I installed it and it was working fine, aside for the fact that the screen would remain at the Ubuntu logo, so I would have to Alt+F2 into another terminal to log in. Everything else was fine.
- P8H77-I motherboard (using on-board video)
- 2x ssd drives in raid 1 (using mdadm)
- Using Grub
The last thing I did before rebooting it was run
apt-get update then
apt-get upgrade but I don't remember seeing any kernel-related packages in the list.
I've booted from a "live" USB drive I made in order to install Ubuntu, however, I remember having a whole lot of trouble as I had to mount the CD image manually in order to install. I might have to get a real DVD drive and boot off that, but I don't have any optical media :|
Please let me know if you need any more info to help me troubleshoot.
Thanks in advance!
What have I tried?
- I have tried holding F6 to get into GRUB
- I have tried booting off a live drive. I believe I have to set "nomodeset" or something, but I don't know how to do that off a live CD on a raided system. Plus, this wouldn't explain why I was able to reboot before but not now.
- I am aware of similar questions, but this is different because it's not happening right after install.. It rebooted a few times after install, ran for awhile, then this.