I've been having this problem since maybe 4, 5 months ago. I've search in the forums and tried every given solution. Please help.
I have an ASUS G73JH with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD5870 Graphic Card. The GPU idle temperature is around 95°C, but after some time of use it rises over 100°C after some time of use (even using a fan base). It rises quicker when watching videos, achieving even 110°C.
- Fresh install of ubuntu 12.04, 12.10, even 13.04
- Using default drivers, or property drivers (both fgrlx and fglrx-updates) (Catalyst 9.00, 9.01, 12.100)
- Using every kernel since 3.5 to 3.8
- Downgrading xorg xserver from 1.13. to 1.12
- Using the Jupiter power manager applet
- Modifying the grub (Modifying this line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash " for this one GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 pcie_aspm=force")
However, for sure i'm missing something. My father has the same machine working with temperatures around 82°C. He did change too many things that he doesn't remember which made it work. Does someone has the same machine or at least the same Graphic Card working perfectly?