I'm new to LaTeX, but want to get started for real; settled for Texmaker; now checked the version (and changelog) and noticed a discrepancy between what I've got installed (3.4) and what's been released (4.0.1) -- just a few days ago.
I found an outdated ppa, but nothing else so far. So far, I've either installed things through Ubuntu or via a ppa; but hardly ever downloaded from a dev website, let alone compiled stuff from source. So my question(s):
- Anyone know of a ppa or ubuntu-official way of upgrading to the latest release of Texmaker ?
- Any reasons I should not go ahead and simply download
Ubuntu 12.04 i386 package : texmaker_ubuntu_12.04_4.0.1_i386.deb (Qt4)?
I'm sure this has (generically) been asked before, plz mark as duplicate (if deemed so), or provide a link to a good discussion/explanation on "what to do a with a deb-file"... i.e.,
- how does it differ from directly installing sth through ubuntu-software-center;
- what needs to be considered / taken care of / maintained;
- why should one (generally) avoid a "manual" deb-installation (especially if one does trust the source)?