- I started brasero and chose to copy the dvd to image file.
- Brasero reported success.
- Playing file in VLC, working flawlessly until unexpected exit at approx. 1 hour 28 mins 20 sec. No error message.
- Trying the file in Movie Player. Unexpected exit at the same time, with this message: "An error occured. Could not read DVD. This may be because the DVD is encrypted and a DVD decryption library is not installed."
- Check that all libraries and ladidah from medibuntu repo are installed. They are.
- Repeat steps 1 through 5.
- Get the ppa https://launchpad.net/~brandonsnider/+archive/cdrtools and replace wodim with cdrecord and geniosimage with mkisofs.
- Throw out brasero and install k3b.
- Repeat steps 1 through 5, with k3b not brasero.
- Ask forums for help. This question is also posted at ubuntuforums.org.
How come both brasero and k3b reports success and then the iso is obviously broken? How to fix this problem?
This problem is similar, but not identical, to this one: Ripping DVD to iso - Accurately
Thankful for any and all input.
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=image_name.iso
ddrescue -v /dev/cdrom image_name.iso
Both of which renders an iso file that is not playing at all. So even though faulty, both brasero and k3b performs better than CLI in this case.