Sign up ×
Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free.

How can I merge an unallocated partition with an extended partition ? I'm having trouble moving this unallocated space to the Linux portion.

Here is my partition space:

a busy cat

share|improve this question
you want to merge 600 GB free space to which ext4 partition in extended partition? – Avinash Raj Nov 16 '13 at 14:12
Were any of the answers helpful? – i08in Feb 18 '14 at 21:03

2 Answers 2

Free space must be adjacent to a partition to make increasing the size of that partition possible.

You can use gparted running from a Live CD to move that 268GB partition (mysteriously called "C") to the front of the free space. Then you can increase the size of the extended partition.

If you get an error from gparted during the resize process (it boils doen to partitions cannot overlap) then you've hit a bug in the gparted version shipped with Ubuntu 12.10 (it is 0.12.1).

  • Download the latest version of Gparted Live
  • burn that to a CD
  • boot your Computer from that CD (you have to answer a few uncritical questions here)
  • the last question allows you to "autostart gparted", which is what you want
  • now select the drive you need and there the extended partition (easiest done in the table)
  • right click on that line and select "resize/move" to get the following screenshot gparted
  • now you can drag the left arrow as far as you want to increase the partition
share|improve this answer
؛Then you can increase the size of the extended partition. How?؛ – user133311 Mar 17 '13 at 10:55
@user133311, see my edited answer please. – guntbert Mar 17 '13 at 12:41

As I see your partition table, the 268 GB parition lies in between the free space and the extended partition,which makes it (perhaps) impossible to merge without deleting the 268 GB partition. You need to delete this one and then reallocate the free partition to the extended one and then create the 268 GB extended partition.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.