Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am using FFmpeg version SVN-r0.5.9-4:0.5.9-0ubuntu0.10.04.3 and it doesn't allow me to use -filter_complex.

It shows:

ffmpeg: unrecognized option '-filter_complex'

I want to overlay 2 videos, how can I get that option?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Too old

Your version is way too old, and in fact I don't think it even supports any filters if I recall correctly. You can check with ffmpeg -filters.

Get a new ffmpeg

To get a recent version you can compile ffmpeg or simply download a static build. Users of Ubuntu 15.04 or newer can just install ffmpeg from the repository.

Example command

This example will:

  1. Place video1.mp4 20 pixels down and 40 pixels over.
  2. Place video2.mp4 in the middle.
  3. Combine audio from video1.mp4 and video2.mp4.

    ffmpeg -i bg.mp4 -i video1.mp4 -i video2.mp4 -filter_complex \
    "[0:v][1:v]setpts=PTS-STARTPTS,overlay=20:40[bg]; \
     [bg][2:v]setpts=PTS-STARTPTS,overlay=(W-w)/2:(H-h)/2[v]; \
     [1:a][2:a]amerge=inputs=2[a]" \
    -map "[v]" -map "[a]" -ac 2 output.mp4

Also see

share|improve this answer
Finally! after 3 years I can write comments :3, Thank You! it really helped me :D – MauricioJuanes Jan 8 at 23:44
@MauricioJuanes You should get a "necrocomment" badge. – LordNeckbeard Jan 8 at 23:59

use -vf instead of filer-complex like

ffmpeg -i new1.mp4 -vf "movie=wlogo.png [watermark]; [in][watermark] overlay=main_w-overlay_w-10:10 [out]" -strict experimental output.mp4 
share|improve this answer
You must be using a super old ffmpeg. Your solution should be a last resort if you are unable to upgrade. – LordNeckbeard Mar 4 at 22:54

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.