I'm new to ubuntu so please forgive my ignorance.
I recently bought an alienware M14x R2 with a '1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M' vide card. I followed this tutorial to installed Ubuntu 12.10 on Virtualbox 4.2.8 but am experiencing serious screen/graphics lag. The host sytem is windows 7 & I have a intel i7-3630QM processor.
So far I've tried:
- Installing VirtualBox Guest Additions from the VB device menu, the installtion completed succesfully but did not resolve the screen lag issue.
I installed bumblebee as descibed in their wiki. It seemed to install correctly but after reboot did nothing. The terminal commands where:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
Then I tried to install the guest additions on the ubuntu CLI as described here:
- Again this installed correctly but did nothing after reboot.
- The terminal commands where:
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-additions
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-x11 virtualbox-guest-utils
- Then in desporation I enabled 3d acceleration in the Virtualbox display settings, but this seemed to do nothing.
- Finally in a last ditch effort I enabled IO APIC in the virtual box system setting & increased the number of processors to 4 CPUs.
- This improved the screen lag a fair bit but not entirely & I still can't switch to seamless mode.
- I'm not really sure if it's the correct resolution as I don't know if I have hardware virtulization which I've read is required for this.
Is this the correct solution or should I try something else, perhaps I need to remove some of the repositories added & start over but I'm unsure how to do this?
Any help/advice would be much appreciated, I'd be happy to add more detail if needed.