Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am trying to make gnome-mplayer play a video in fullscreen on my second screen. I am using a Nvidia card with xineramascreen. Below is my ~/.mplayer/config file.



The options have no affect, it plays on my primary screen as usual.

Running mplayer -xineramascreen 1 works perfectly, I just want gnome-mplayer to work since it's nicer to use with GUI and Nautilus integration etc.

share|improve this question
Why are you using xinerama instead of twinview? I say that because I have your desired behaviour working here with twinview. As simple as dragging the window, going fullscreen and then future videos load up on that monitor. – Oli Aug 18 '10 at 18:29
I got confused, yes I am using twinview for my screen setup. Could please provide an answer how to automatically select what screen to play on, I'd be most delighted :) – Znarkus Aug 18 '10 at 19:12
Sadly, it doesn't remember last position. – Znarkus Aug 18 '10 at 20:54
Whoops. I'm using gmplayer from mplayer-gui not gnome-mplayer. Try that (if only to see if it works). – Oli Aug 18 '10 at 22:55
gmplayer remembered the position. Does gmplayer take normal mplayer options somehow? I honestly don't like gmplayer much, it always produces error messages, even when everything is working fine. – Znarkus Aug 19 '10 at 7:20
up vote 2 down vote accepted

When starting gnome-mplayer, you can try exporting the display: export DISPLAY=0.0; gnome-mplayer (change 0.0 to the desired display).

share|improve this answer
What would display 2 be, 1.0? – Znarkus Aug 23 '10 at 20:53
If you have a nvidia card, nvidia-settings will give you the displays. – aperson Aug 23 '10 at 21:03

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.