Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to fix permissions on another disk with chown. Set the permissions to a user which does not exist on the system which is currently running.

Does that work without adding the user?

share|improve this question

Use the numerical UID/GID instead of the user/group name.

You can find the UID/GID on the system the disk belongs to by using

  id some_username


ls -ln some_file

where some_file is a file that belongs to user you are looking for

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.