I am trying to install ubuntu 12.10 for quite some time, and passing hurdles one by one. Now I am in a situation as follows.
I have got a pc and 10 gb hdd which will be totally dedicated to ubuntu so no option of wubi and dual boot.
I was trying installation done from dvd but it is getting stuck at 'Out of frequency' error. So i had to adapt for usb boot option. but my pc is usb non bootable so workaround is 'Plop Boot Manager '. So i am doing the installation procedure as follows
- starting from a cd drive which is having plop installed.
- opting for for usb boot in plop options.
- booting begins from usb .
- monitor eventully gives ' out of frequency' error
- press shift alt F1 to get ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ prompt
- open the grub with sudo nano /etc/default/grub
- do necessary changes
- sudo update-grub now here i am getting error as follows
/usr/sbin/grub-probe:error:failed to get canonical path of /cow.
My system is
P4 3.06 GHz, 1 GB ram , 10 GB hdd without a os, monitor CRT lg StudioWorks ( 7 years old ). Mobo Mercury P4 266a NDMx ( 865 equivalent) . The whole system is perfectly in working condition under xp , but it is usb non bootable , and all other devices working perfectly .
experts need to advice me what to do next.