Okay I'm totally lost with mail server configurations. I use getmail and mbsync to receive email and mutt's built-in SMTP support to send email; I use the same procedure for both Gmail (I rarely use the web interface) and my work email. Upon installing mutt on a new Ubuntu installation I'm being asked to choose between the options below
- internet site; mail is sent and received directly using SMTP
- mail sent by smarthost; received via SMTP or fetchmail
- mail sent by smarthost; no local mail
- local delivery only; not on a network
- no configuration at this time
I'm confused because I don't remember ever answering this prompt before and I don't know if gmail.com and my work's Exchange server are considered smarthosts and/or if getmail and mbsync are considered SMTPs.
So yeah, which of the choices above should I be choosing?
Possibly related: cron isn't sending emails like it has in the past and I'm trying to figure out why.