I just performed a fresh install of 12.04LTS 64-bit, using the alternate CD, with LVM and LUKS. Install went fine but I've noticed a few quirks and was hoping for some pointers/suggestions from the community.
- On boot, before entering encryption pass phrase, I get a message "ERROR: No video mode activated" (Everything seems to work fine though)
- I've got a noticeable but inconsistent "lag/delay" in the launcher/nautilus with the new load. The delay can sometimes be as much as 5+ seconds. Things like the compiz cube/rotator work very fast so I don't think it's a graphics issue.
NOTE: Neither of these issues were present in my original 32bit std install (using the disc from the "Ubuntu Unleashed 2012 edition" book.)
How do I get rid of the boot error (I'm guessing it's a config issue with grub)?
What would be the best way to further diagnose the "lag" that I'm experiencing?
- I'm not sure if it's an issue with 64-bit Precise (though I seen several posts reporting the issue with no solutions) or full disk encryption. I know my CPU supports AES-NI, how do I determine if it's enabled/configured properly?
- HP Z210 SFF Workstation
- Intel Xeon E3-1245 quad-core, hyperthreaded
- Integrated Intel HD 3000 Graphics (registering as "Intel Sandybridge Server" after installing mesa-utils)
- 8GB RAM
- 500GB HDD (LVM & LUKS configured using the wizard on the entire drive)
top - 13:37:05 up 2:12, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.21, 0.21 Tasks: 210 total, 1 running, 209 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie Cpu(s): 0.1%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.9%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st Mem: 8063752k total, 4227732k used, 3836020k free, 34392k buffers Swap: 8269820k total, 53548k used, 8216272k free, 3418876k cached