I want to turn off animation of windows appearing and disappearing when switching between Compiz viewports. I've tried to turn this animation off by the setting-changes listed in a bullet list below. However, windows still seem to slide or zoom out of the old viewport or into the new viewport whenever I switch viewports, rather than popping instantaneously into place like I want. Here is the script I used to test the behavior:
#!/bin/sh S=1.5; W=1680; H=1050 for y in 2 1 0; do for x in 2 1 0; do wmctrl -o $(($x*$W)),$(($y*$H)) sleep $S done done
Note, I installed
sudo apt-get install wmctrl. The command line
wmctrl -m; echo $DESKTOP_SESSION; echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP; cat /etc/issue.net; cat /proc/version;uname -a
on my i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz system displays the following.
Name: Compiz Class: N/A PID: N/A Window manager's "showing the desktop" mode: OFF ubuntu Unity Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS Linux version 3.2.0-36-generic (buildd@allspice) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) ) #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 8 21:44:52 UTC 2013 Linux biti 3.2.0-36-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 8 21:44:52 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Here are the setting changes made in my attempts to fix the problem. (Note, several of these settings probably are irrelevant, but I haven't found a discussion that explains which, if any, are relevant to the current problem.) (Note, CCSM stands for Compiz config-settings-manager, which I installed with
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager)
• On CCSM/Effects, unchecked the Fading Windows and Animations boxes.
• On CCSM/Desktop/Desktop Wall, set target preview visibility time to zero.
• Also unchecked Show viewport switcher preview and Show live viewport previews.
• In CCSM with expo in search box, clicked expo, and on Behaviour tab set zoom time to 0.1 (it won't go to less) and checked Immediate moves.
• Set Expo animation to Zoom (there is no animation-off option on the tab)
Summary of question: How do I turn off animation of windows appearing and disappearing when switching between Compiz viewports, and make those windows just appear as quickly as possible?