I am running Ubuntu 12.04 64bit at the moment, however, I have been experiencing the problem since about 11.04. (Tried 32 and 64bit versions)
My problem is that when browsing the internet, pages really struggle to load. Sometimes they load fast without any problem. Other times, they time-out and I have to refresh the page a couple of times before the page loads. Sometimes, even if the page starts loading, it does not load the entire page.
For example, sometimes, it will not load css for a page and the entire page will just be plain html. Other times, pictures and other embedded content fail to load. It has come to the point where I have installed a plug-in for Firefox to auto refresh my pages. Usually, it takes about 7 seconds of refreshing before the page starts loading, and that’s if it completes the loading.
Sometimes, certain applications have similar symptoms. For example, when using apt-get in the terminal to install or update, it sometimes fail to connect to sources and I have to try again until it connects.
Here are some facts and things I have tried regarding the problem:
- I have no connection problems in Windows. (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7)
- Using a different connection works without a problem. (Used a mobile 3G connection)
- I have tried using different browsers. (Firefox,Chromium)
- I have tried a different Network manager. (Wicd if I remember correctly)
- I have set the time-out time to 100. (sudo sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout=100)
- My installation is up to date.
- I have no problem when downloading files. (Once a download starts, there is no problem.)
I have spoken to my ISP and they said everything is fine from their side and besides, my internet works without any problem in windows.
I would really like if it worked in Ubuntu as it is my primary operating system, but you can understand how frustrating and unproductive it can be when your web pages times out all the time. Please help.
If that image is difficult to read, http://i47.tinypic.com/2r5f22u.png