Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have miss-configured my LiveUSB installation and now when I run boot from it I get an error.

How can I erase LiveUSB data? Can it be done from the booting LiveUSB menu?

For some weird reason LiveCD remembers the state between runs. That is a very cool feature, but I need to reset all that data.

I have problem with MBR on my hard drive and I want to install Ubuntu, however I can't since booting from CD has now its own problems.

When I run the LiveUSB I get an error right away. I don't have option to install Ubuntu. After waiting 20 minutes I get an option to log in into Ubuntu.

share|improve this question
Guessing creating a new USB stick with Ubuntu from another computer is not an option? – Bruno Pereira Jan 16 '13 at 10:23
After waiting 20 minutes I get an option to log in into Ubuntu.. Can you log in? There is an option to Install Ubuntu when you are in live session. And I don't really get what data are you trying to clear and what for? – Pavel A Jan 16 '13 at 19:23
Pavel : livecd data. there is no option to login or install ubuntu. because there are errors. I will try to create new usb stick with ubuntu, but now its not an option (I only have one computer at home) – UAdapter Jan 16 '13 at 22:38

All your changed data is stored in a file/partition named/labeled "casper-rw". You should be able to mount either one, and delete/add/change things. Not everything you add can be seen, for instance /etc/fstab, but most things can. You can even change the boot commands on your boot media -- edit syslinux/txt.cfg and remove the "persistent" word on the append line (in several places).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.