I'm a fairly novice Ubuntu user and this is the first time I use this website. Currently I'm running an Ubuntu 12.04 dual-boot (together with Windows 7) installation on my Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop configuration. The sole reason I still haven't migrated fully to Ubuntu is that, as an engineer I have some special needs in terms of software. I'm using a program called CATIA v5 for my work and I have successfully installed a v5R19 version using Wine 1.5. The installation runs smoothly, with one very very annoying issue which prevents me from being able to do my work. I experience screen flickering when using my program, almost constantly. I took a few steps to fix the problem, non of them helped;
- Adjusted the graphics card settings both for maximum performance and appearance (I have ATI Radeon series 4300 chip, with proprietary drivers running, flgrx AMD catalyst control centre)
- Installed latest updates for my OS.
- Adjusted the program visual settings any way I could think of
- Followed instructions for proper installation here --> http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=16156&iTestingId=50899
- I was searching how to fix the issue for a long time now, with no success, nobody seems to either have it or bother to fix it
I have a basic understanding of how to use a terminal and the syntax involved, but since I'm no specialist in the area, I struggle with fixing this myself. I know its hard to find the solution to an issue such as this one, which I guess is a case one in a million, but I'm ready to actively communicate with anyone who can help me out, and supply you with the information you need to work this out. I reach the conclusion that the problem is either located in the way Wine handles the program or the OS itself. I read somewhere that Windows handles this graphics flickering faster, and users simply can't feel it. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thank You! Best regards, Ventsy