Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I use "master mono" for my audio. I like using the volume up and volume down buttons on my keyboard but they only change "master" not "master mono". Anyway to change this?

share|improve this question
Is "master mono" a channel in the Alsa Mixer? If it is, can you add the output of amixer scontrols to the question. – mikewhatever Dec 25 '12 at 17:22
The volume keys are handled not by alsamixer but by your desktop environment. Which one? – CL. Dec 25 '12 at 21:53
Please provide the output of 'amixer scontrols' as @mikewhatever requested. To the best of my knowledge (and testing over numerous platforms) there is no master mono channel in Alsa mixer – Elder Geek May 17 '14 at 22:52

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.