Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Could someone point out to me what Unity Panel looks like? I am using version 12.10, 64 bit, US English.

share|improve this question
The top bar is called a -Panel-. The Launcher is the "Dock" at the left. Unity Official site – Uri Herrera Dec 23 '12 at 23:18
No, the top bar is called the "menu bar".…. Technically, the Launcher is the panel, but 'panel' is Gnome terminology and open to misinterpretation. We shouldn't be using it. – fabricator4 Dec 24 '12 at 0:04
@fabricator4 The entire thing, not counting the AppMenu and the Indicators is called a Panel (I rightfully think is wrongly called Menubar because not only does it hold the menus, but also has the indicator area). It isn't just a Gnome term, in KDE is called a Panel too (in XFCE, LXDE, E17 it's also a Panel and in any case Unity runs on Gnome software so Gnome terms apply). And The Launcher in Unity is the left side "dock", "sidebar", "thing on the left". – Uri Herrera Dec 24 '12 at 8:49
up vote 2 down vote accepted

According to the official site, there are two «panels»: one on the left hand-side (blue on the image infra), called «task panel» (or launcher) and one at the top of the screen (blue), called «menu panel».

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Then the official site should be fixed. The top bar is the menu bar or panel, and the left bar is simply the Launcher. – fitojb Dec 30 '12 at 8:45

The entire bar on the left side of the screen is the Unity Panel.enter image description here

share|improve this answer
@ kelvinafox: Thanks for the illustration. As the saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words". So what do Ubuntu developers prefer to call it? "Launcher" or "Unity Panel"? – n00b Dec 24 '12 at 0:06
The whole bar is the Unity Panel and when you click the Ubuntu logo button at the top, the part that opens is called the Launcher. – kelvinafox Dec 24 '12 at 0:07
@ kelvinafox: Thanks very much. You guys rock! I wish to take this opportunity to wish one and all Merry Christmas. – n00b Dec 24 '12 at 0:08
Everybody here's glad to help. Have a good Christmas too. – kelvinafox Dec 24 '12 at 0:10
Nobody calls that the panel, that's the launcher. – Jorge Castro Dec 24 '12 at 3:11

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.