Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

According to the Gnome-Termianl Usage, I found that ctrl+shift+up/down can scroll up/down a line in the terminal.

Now, I want to re-map the shortcut key, just like: shift+j/k to up/down a line, that's the old habit of vimer. :) I tried searching the settings in Edit -> Keyboard Shortcuts of Terminal, but found nothing. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

The information of my computer:

$ cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu 12.10 \n \l
share|improve this question
map shift+j/k it not a good practice,you can't input J/K any more – yuan Dec 22 '12 at 9:00
J/K could be inputed by CapsLK – Marslo Dec 23 '12 at 3:39
Alright, I think I can using alt+j/k to scroll up and down. – Marslo Dec 23 '12 at 3:45

You can change the shortcuts by installing Advance keyboard shortcuts tool - gconf-editor (GConf-Editor)

You can install this tool by typing the following command : sudo apt-get install gconf-editor

Now run gconf-editor you can run is through the terminal by typing gconf-editor &

--->Now double click the "apps" folder

--->Next double click the "metacity" folder

--->Finally click the global_keybindings folder

now you can change the value for next_tab and prev_tab. :)

share|improve this answer
I cannot found the global_keybindings folder under metacity foler. Only general folder is shown. – Marslo Dec 23 '12 at 4:11

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.