ref: For some reason I want to set the system date to earlier month but I am unable to set it
- today is Sun. Mar 3, 2013
- all date changes were made "Manually" using "Time & Date Settings..." as seen in the partial window displaying
- it was possible to change the time/date indicator ap. pull down menu, circled in yellow, to a different date (eventually!!! see below) ... it was changed to
Sunday, 10 March 2013
- the top right green circled date is usually not visible and is enabled using "Time & Date Settings..." from the "Clock" tab (for clarity the calendar display was also turned off)
- note in particular that both green and yellow circled dates in the top right corner are manifestations of the
indicator-datetime menubar panel.
The simple solution is to ignore the pull down menu date and turn on the menu bar indicator panel option to display date changes instead.
ntpdate is NOT the problem. The implementation of the service panel display for the time/date indicator service IS.
Note that a change of time is relatively immediate, within a minute or so, but a date change takes on another order of magnitude of time complexity to register with the time/date panel pull down menu service ie. it will happen but not for many ten's of minutes.
That the date change is effective immediately can be seen with the
date terminal command, which DOES correctly show that the effective system time AND date ARE changed. This can be observed irregardless of network connectivity or any NTP daemon.
This is easily tested by simply severing ALL network connections (ie. simply dis-Enable Networking) so that any NTP service is ineffective without disturbing the install state of
sudo date -s 2013-04-01 is highly effective in any ambient
If the source of the problem were the
ntpdate then difficulties would manifest with both the date AND time, not just with one chronometer component.
Observe closely the discrepancy between the panel pull down menu date annotation with the panel date if displayed.
Time & Date Settings and the tab
Clock select both
Show a clock in the menu bar and
Date and month and then change the date AND compare to the pull down menu :! ;]