Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

So I bought a keyboard for my laptop. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the function key (though I know many people say it's useless). On my laptop, I control volume with the function key and F9-11. How can I get the same functionality on my external keyboard? The advanced keyboard settings don't have an option related to the function key.

More specifically, it would be great if I could map it to my 'Menu' key which I'm never going to use.

Or is there a way to get full functionality without it?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

If you open the keyboard settings, then click the 'shortcuts' tab, then select the "sound & media" page, you can change the shorcut for mute, up and down. I tested CtrlMenu for mute, SuperMenu for down, and AltMenu for up and it seems to work OK.

Weird way of doing it though - the modifier key denotes the function while you just hit the menu key for action.

share|improve this answer
Thanks. Small difference though, my fault - I use Kubuntu. So I had to go to Shortcuts -> KMix. Also, when I tried to set it to Super-Menu (or anything with Menu), it popped up the menu instead of registering it as part of the shortcut. I couldn't find an option to disable it either. I'm currently using Super, and that's just as good. Better, actually. Thanks! – asymptotically Dec 16 '12 at 0:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.