I have a couple of problems, and a couple of goals.
- install ubuntu desktop edition and get apache running
- use as file server for house, over simple LAN gigabit switch
- use a dynamic IP tracker to update hostname and continue to update (last time it crashed repeatedly)
- be able to access from windows and mac machines
- Use PPPoE internet connection (this is a PAIN)
Those are the problems as well, but I know how to install ubuntu, apache, and a dyn updater (I use dyndns), I just could never figure out how to access the machine... I am new to the Ubuntu front obviously, and I know that using server edition would be better/more efficient, but I like being able to use the computer for simple WINE gaming, diablo 2 and the like.