I have a brand new HP Pavilion-G6 which boots to pre-loaded Windows8 and I want to change the machine to boot up into Ubuntu 12.10 whist retaining Windows 8. I am having difficulty booting into Ubuntu - I have done the following.
- Downloaded 12.10 (64 bit) from Ubuntu site and burnt it to DVD.
- Run the DVD from within Windows (failed to reboot the machine)
- Installed the Boot Assistant from the DVD which allows a boot up offering Ubuntu 12.10.
- Rebooted laptop (both with DVD in and out of the machine) selected Ubuntu option
- Always get the same result - Black screen with white text saying C: Ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr file not found. I have checked in Windows and the file does exist.
- Researched the forums and seen various forums for answers.
- I noticed recommendations to reconfigure BIOS to disable Secure Boot and select 'Legacy' boot up mode. I'd love to do this but HP have loaded their own 'Boot up management software' as the BIOS editor with no such options provided (at least I've not seen anything that looks 'safe' to click).
Surely life should not be this hard - and I cannot be the only one with problems?
Has anyone out there actually achieved an Ubuntu 12.10/Windows8 boot up on a Pavilion G-6 laptop pre-installed with Windows8? If so, how do you do it please?