Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am wondering if there is a file editor for Ubuntu that can open and close the different parts of the html file as in the screenshot below:

enter image description here

"menu a" here has a little icon that I can click and the whole thing would be folded in and that way I can see the different parts of the file better. Or can gedit do this?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I use Geany

I find it good and quite user-friendly.

share|improve this answer
Thanks a lot To Do. I'll give it a go, but I am an old-fashioned guy and since I have been using gedit for a while...well, I'd rather stick to it. – Elysium Nov 23 '12 at 10:11
Actually Geany is similar to Gedit but more powerful. I think it's worth giving it a try. – To Do Nov 23 '12 at 10:27
I have just installed it and I guess I am gonna use it. It is pretty good. – Elysium Nov 23 '12 at 10:43

You need a plugin for Gedit for this to work and you can find one here. But I used that 2 years ago for the last time and we did switch to Gedit 3 after this plugin was introduced. Might not work(...). No answer here: Code folding plug-in for gedit 3.2.1? so it is not widely used or not working.

I myself have made the switch over to Aptana. It has folding for CSS and HTML and alot more. Any other coding style based editor will have folding incorporated. Some I used and know about: Eclipse and Kate (Kate is K so does not integrate as well).

share|improve this answer
ok, thanks a lot. I think I'll stick to gedit, but I have no clue what to do with these py and plugin files. I am a bit of a newbie here, but would like to learn. – Elysium Nov 23 '12 at 9:32… ;) – Rinzwind Nov 23 '12 at 9:34
ok, it just turns out to be a waste of time. This wont work with version 3+...thanks anyway Rinz. – Elysium Nov 23 '12 at 10:27

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.