- Ubuntu 12.04, graphics card: GeForce-4 MX 420,
- From Nvidia website, downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.18.pkg1.run
- Moved it from Downloads folder to "Nvidia folder".
- I searched for "Additional Drivers".
- I got a response that Nvidia-(Current) was "activated but not currently in use".
- What should I do?
a. Did I download it incorrectly?
b. Did I move, open or install it incorrectly?
c. I want to update driver to improve rendering.
d. I'm not sure what to do next.
Know which driver in use by executing
When you move the downloaded file this doesn't mean that is installed. you have to install it manually
To do that:
First press ctrl + alt + f1 This will open tty1
Now you are using the tty terminal console
log in with your user name and password
Now stop the lightdm(gdm or whatever) using the command
Then install the new driver with