I think you can try to edit the images in the /usr/share/unity/folder with your version number..
In my case in Ubuntu 12.04 the versrion is "5", if you have Ubuntu 12.10 the version is "6".
- Go to the Terminal and type
cd /usr/share/unity/5/ or
- There are 3 icons named launcher_icon_shine_54.png, launcher_icon_shine_170.png and launcher_icon_shine_150.png (I only edited the launcher_icon_shine_54.png image, feel free to edit the 3 files)
- Make a backup of this file (or the 3 files) with
sudo cp -p launcher_icon_shine_54.png launcher_icon_shine_54.png.bak
- Open an application to edit the image, (in my case gimp) to install
- In the Terminal type
sudo gimp /usr/share/unity/5/launcher_icon_shine_54.png or
sudo gimp /usr/share/unity/6/launcher_icon_shine_54.png
- You can edit the image according to your needs (I pick the "eraser tool" and delated the all shine mask)
- Save your image, logout and login.
Here you have my result:
Before edit the image:
After edit the iamge:
Remember that you have a backup , So if anything goes wrong rename the backup "launcher_icon_shine_54.png.bak" to "launcher_icon_shine_54.png" logout and login to have the original unity.
I hope this would be useful.