Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

I've been given a form to fill out as a PDF. It is not a fillable PDF, it's just a file that I'm expected to print out, fill in by hand, and scan back in. Is there something available in the software center that will let me type text on top of a PDF?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Alaa Ali, Kevin Bowen, Eliah Kagan, muru, Warren Hill Aug 8 '14 at 8:02

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Try Inkscape. – Martin Schröder Nov 21 '12 at 9:33
See – Martin Schröder Nov 21 '12 at 9:35
up vote 8 down vote accepted

Lots of resources on the web recommend pdfedit but that's not available in the latest ubuntu. xournal works perfectly for this.

share|improve this answer

requires both GIMP and Krita but it does work

share|improve this answer

Some time ago I spent lots of time trying them all and see which one was best for my need and easy fast to learn.

I strongly advise you to try PDF-XChange Viewer over wine, it runs smoothly and will probably do all you need. Here are some tips.

A review of other PDF editors, XChange included

share|improve this answer

(I really hate when people answer as a comment, so I'm going to list Inkscape here as an alternative and flag the comment.)

Typically I prefer inkscape to gimp (Gimp is very clunky to use), but both are limited to a single page at a time. Thus if you have more than one page to edit, you'll need a tool like pdf-Shuffler to recombine the individual pdf files.

This limitation is why I decided to look for another editor, and am happy to report that John Baber's answer of using xournal worked well for me.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.